It's no secret that with parenting comes sacrifices, such as having to give up certain luxuries in exchange for practicality and functionality. Sometimes things get tough and it feels like there is no way to make your home look good while also meeting the needs of your family life.
It's time to change this way of thinking! It doesn't have to be an either/or situation. With a few simple tips, you can have both style and convenience - without sacrificing one for the other! Read on for some easy ways for parents to balance their home design goals so they can enjoy both a stylish and functional decor.
The Benefits of Esthetically Pleasing Home Design
No matter the stage of life you're in, we all have one thing in common: we want to feel comfortable in our home. After all, your home is where you make memories with family and friends, so it should be a place of respite and relaxation. But when there are children involved, decorating can seem more daunting than ever.
That's because it's not easy to find a balance between stylish and practical furniture pieces. That said, there are some serious benefits to having a home that looks good:
- The lift it can give in your mood when you come home from a long day out.
- It allows for greater safety for your kids. If you invest in kid-friendly furniture pieces that are still esthetically-pleasing when they're grown up, you won't have to buy new pieces as often as they grow. With sturdy and safe seating pieces like chairs and sofas, you'll feel more secure knowing your children are safe while climbing on them or playing around your living room.
Creative Solutions for Practical Home Decor
There are plenty of creative ways to make sure your space looks great and functions well for the needs of both you and your little ones. Start by embracing practicality without sacrificing style. Look for items like ottomans with storage or low-maintenance furniture with slipcovers made from fabric that can easily be machine-washed. Invest in playful decor that doubles as a distraction or toy, such as shelves full of books or a DIY art wall. Pick items that require minimal maintenance—like plants that don’t need too much watering—and choose colors and textures that will stand up to stains.
By considering how each item you buy will fit into both the esthetic and functioning of your home, you'll never have to compromise on style or convenience when it comes to decorating with kids around!
Use of Multi-Purpose Furniture and Fixtures
Finding a balance between stylish and functional decor involves making use of multi-purpose furniture and fixtures. Look for furniture that provides both storage space and seating like this Stuffed Animal Bean Bag Storage Chair. Of course, you can also opt for items that serve more than one purpose, such as bookshelves with extra drawers or bunk beds with a built-in desk underneath. This way, you can easily store toys, blankets, pillows or other items while glamming up your living space.
store toys, blankets, pillows or other items while glamming up your living space.
Why not try using multipurpose kitchen appliances like combo ovens? They combine the functions of an oven and microwave into one sleek design. Not to mention, these combo ovens are great for busy parents who don't have enough time to make elaborate meals.
Storing Toys and Items in Plain View
Storing items in plain view is a great way to keep up with all of the things that are necessary to make parenting easier—without sacrificing the functionality or design of your space. Plus, you don't have to worry about constantly cleaning up the mess if everything is already out there for everyone to view!
To make this easier, here are some ideas for storing toys and items:
- Utilize wall space: Employ specialty shelves and shelves with baskets for storing books and toys, keeping them concealed yet accessible. You can try something like this Over Door Stuffed Animal Toy Storage.
- Invest in furniture with storage: An ottoman or bench with built-in storage is perfect for hiding small toys and items that can be taken out quickly when needed.
- Get creative with furniture placement: Opt for coffee tables with storage compartments underneath or set large pieces like couches against walls for an efficient use of space.
- Bring in decorative storage boxes or bins: Place these around any room or living area, making them both decorative and useful! This Stuffed Animal Plushie Playhouse is one great example.
Parenting and home decorating don't have to be mutually exclusive--you can have a stylish, functional home while still being a great parent. Whether it's taking a few weekends to DIY or investing in some high-quality pieces, there are ways to make sure your home is both beautiful and practical. Find what works for you and your family and let your home reflect the love and enthusiasm your children bring.